Recruiting Migrant Students

Have you and/or your child moved in search of work related to agriculture, dairy, livestock, forestry, or fishery in the last 3 years? If so, your child may qualify for additional services offered through Kingsville Independent School District’s Migrant Program.

Students who qualify for migrant services and are enrolled in KISD schools may be eligible for assistance with costs related to dental, medical, and optometry services. School supplies and clothing are also provided to eligible migrants upon referral.

Parent training sessions on the transferring of migrant student records upon withdrawal and district policies are held at KISD’s Title I Parent Center annually.

Credit by exam and correspondence courses through the University of Texas Migrant Program are also available to secondary migrants in an effort to help keep students on track for graduation.

Migrant students who have dropped out of school and are interested in acquiring their GED’s are referred to Texas A&M Kingsville High School Equivalency Program (HEP). Eligible seniors are also provided scholarship information on Texas A&M University-Kingsville’s College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP).

How do you qualify?

Have you and your children moved out of a school district within the last three (3) years

Have you worked either in part-time or full-time within the last three (3) years at any of these places:

  • at a fruit, vegetable, dairy, turkey, chicken, tobacco or egg farm
  • at a food, meat, or fish processing plant
  • at a nursery for trees or flowers
  • on a fishing boat

As a parent you are your children’s first teacher. What you have to share with your children is very important. You can help your children with their education by working with the schools, too. As you move from one school district to another, you will find help for your children in the Migrant Education Program.


How can KISD help?

Your child may be eligible for help in these areas:

  • English as a Second Language (ESL) or bilingual classes
  • Summer school programs
  • Career awareness and drop-out referrals
  • Health services or referrals
  • Preschool programs
  • Tutors to help your children

The Migrant Education program is not connected with any employer, state or city welfare, or immigration service. It is a school program. All visits are confidential.

The migrant recruiter/home school liaison- enrolls your children in the Kingsville ISD Migrant Program and gives information about health and community services available. Parents are also linked with the school. She may also give transportation to school meetings or translate for you.


How you can help?

  • Bring important papers with you to enroll your children in school. You may need birth certificates, COE’s (Certificates of Eligibility from migrant education program), most recent report card, shot record, and proof of your current or last address.
  • Encourage your children about school. Show them that you are interested in what they learn.
  • Encourage them with their homework.
  • Make sure they attend school as much as possible
  • Meet with your children’s teachers. Discuss with them how you can help your children at home.
  • Attend parent-teacher conferences and special events at the school.
  • Join Kingsville ISD’s Parent Advisory Council (PAC). PAC meetings often help people who share your special concerns. You may hear some ideas of how to help your children.

Corina Gutiérrez, Director of Federal Programs, encourages parents with questions or concerns on migrant eligibility to contact Add Name Here, KISD’s migrant recruiter, by calling 595-9096, upon enrollment of their children in KISD.